God shows his nature in 2 ways–
- Through the universe and everything in it.
- Through the Torah- Worship of any other God is forbidden
- Make a Venn diagram and fill it with bullet points based on the 3 main branches of modern Judaism-
In the indices (spots where the circles overlap), put shared beliefs and practices
Jewish religious practices are located in two distinct areas-
- The synagogue
- The home
- In modern day Judaism there are rabbis, who are leaders and scholars but not priests.
- Marriage is seen as the natural state for men and women and the living out in the cusfirst commandment in the Torah, to ‘be fruitful and multiply’.
- Divorce is allowed, but is associated with great regret.
- Sex is not considered shameful, sinful or obscene.
- Sexual desire must be controlled and satisfied at the proper time and place and manner.
- “The world was created to produce life” (Isa 45:18)
- They believe everything belongs to God.
- People are to be stewards of the earth, to see that its produce is available for all God’s children.
- Property is a sacred trust given by God.
- People have custodial care of the earth, as apposed to ownership.
- The universe is an expression of Gods persona.
Christians share their spiritual foundations with Judaism and hold the same beliefs about stewardship of the earth. Locate an environmental issue in the news and create a meme that draws attention to the issue. Use an Old Testament scriptural reference to reinforce your message.
- Methods of contraception are suitable in Judaism so long as they don’t damage the sperm or stop it getting to the intended destination. For example, the contraceptive pill, condoms.
- Progressive and conservative Jews allow birth control, where as Orthodox Judaism is more restrictive.